POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: andrel
Date: 10 Nov 2007 17:46:43
Message: <473635DD.1000405@hotmail.com>
Alain wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/10 12:52:

>>> It's proportional to the surface area. Thus all the stranded and
>>> braided wire.
>>
>> Interesting. I thought braided wire was just so it bends without
>> fracturing...
> A solid wire have a smaler cross section than a braided or stranded wire
> of the same caliber, but will be stiffer. In a braided wire, there are
> gaps between the strands, and those make the cable whider.
> So, yes, braided wires are needed when you need a supple wire, like that
> from a socket to some device. But, a solid wire is beter in a wall,
> where it don't need to change it's path once in place.

Adding to that, a braided wire might break, but there are enough cross
connections that under most circumstances you won't notice it.
Exceptions may be when connected to an amplifier. When I was young (or
at least younger) we had a, probably cheap, coax cable that connected a
guitar to an amplifier. If you shook it, you could here the 'water
sloshing' over the amp. Funny, but not very useful. Another occasion
was when connecting a bush of electrodes to a self made ecg amplifier,
those wires were long and shielded. Stepping on them would cause
something that superficially looks like a (part of) a ecg complex, about
the right amplitude and width. Very annoying if you are looking for
complexes with a different than standard morphology and have to press
the record button if you see one and the machine can not be used for a
minute after you did record that artefact.