POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Alain
Date: 10 Nov 2007 16:46:06
Message: <4736269e@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/10 04:19:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>
>> I read on a website about an interesting CPU watercooling technique:
>> submerging the motherboard. They still had trouble because of ions on
>> the water. It's hard to get *totally* pure water...
>
> We have a machine at work that produces "20 mega-Ohm water".
>
> Of course, water reacts with *air* to absorb various ions. (For example,
> CO2 disolves in water to yield carbonic acid.)
>
> But seriously - computers work at 12V. The water's resistance would have
> to plummet to yield any meaningful current.
>
> I would imagine a far bigger problem is water's viscosity; I'd think
> fans wouldn't like that...
Main power is 5V for all the electronics. The 12V is for the fans and drives motors.

A good deal of the currents are counted in miliamps or less. In particular, the
data transmition use very low curents at 5V. A leak of less than a 1 miliamp can
easily cause malfunctions. And then, those 12V going to various motors can push
or pull some curents into the data and address paths...

You don't need fans on a submerged system, if you keep them, it's only for the
show with a clear case. Convection does all of the work.

--
Alain
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.