POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Red tape : Re: Red tape Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Red tape
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 10 Nov 2007 13:02:06
Message: <4735f21e$1@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque wrote:

>> Checking online, it seems I can get to 24 or 48 port switch with

> What's the backplane switching speed?

Depends on the model. ;-)

>> 1. Since when does VoIP require PoE?
>
> Because you can power your phone through the ethernet cable.  Unless you
> want to have a separate power cord to connect the phone to the wall
> outlet.  Today's ISDN or POTS phones get a 48v DC power feed down the
> phone cable.  With VoIP, you either need to send juice on the ethernet
> cable's unused pairs, or plug your phones in the wall.

Mmm. My current digital phone has a seperate power cable...

> PoE is also often used to power wireless antennas.

Wireless = massive security hole = to be avoided at any cost.

>> 2. For that matter, since when does VoIP require any special hardware
>> of any kind?
>
> Because sometimes people like to use actual phones, and actual phones
> need electricity to work.
> Because you need special hardware to be able to convert your internal
> VoIP traffic to interface with the outside world's phone systems.
> Because you need special hardware to be able to convert your fax
> amchines, central alarm systems, key-card entry system, etc... that
> still use analog modems to use your VoIP network.
>
> VoIP is a lot more stuff than just installing Skype on your PC.

So why are we bothering to do all this stuff?

POTS may not be high-tech, but it *is* legally guaranteed to actually
work properly...

>> 3. You want to use VoIP? Um, *why*?? Do you just enjoy extra
>> complexity, or is this because VoIP sounds all shiny and new and sexy
>> and we should get with it?
>
> Because it cuts down on the amount of wiring than will go in the walls.
> Because it cuts down on the number of phone lines coming in and out of
> the building.
> Because it can cut down on long distance calls.
> etc...
>
> Yes, for the most part, migrating to VoIP in an existing office is still
> a solution looking for a problem to fix, but in a new building, the
> costs of going with VoIP today are often less than the costs of building
> a separate telephony and data network.

But we *are* building two seperate networks. (And then ditching one in a
few months.)

Seriously, there is nothing in that lot that looks like a win from where
I'm sitting. Conceivably it's cheaper. But for that, you get mountains
of unnecessary additional complexity. No thanks!

>> 4. So, let me get this straight. We're currently arranging a contract
>> to spend tens of thousands of pounds to have our existing ISDN digital
>> phone system moved to the new building, but "in the next year or two"
>> you want to throw all that in the bin and move to VoIP? Are you
>> mental?? You're telling us all this *now*?!?
>
> Ok, so you'd prefer to have to scrap the current network hardware ON TOP
> of replacing the phone system in a few years?

No - my point was, if you're going to use VoIP, why bother paying tens
of thousands to set up a telephone system in the new building when it's
about to become obsolete? (I suspect it's too late to change now; since
nobody thought of telling me sooner...)