POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Alain
Date: 9 Nov 2007 20:18:02
Message: <473506ca$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/08 08:08:
> M_a_r_c wrote:
>
>>> (I still can't figure out why you can use an oscilator to make radio
>>> waves, but not light rays...)
>>
>> Is not a laser an excitated resonant optical cavity eg a oscillator?
>
> Actually, I thought it was a tube full of extremely hot gas with some
> mirrors at the ends? (I don't know a huge amount about lasers.)
There are laser diodes, no gas at all and barely any heat. How about crystal
lasers, the ruby ones been the archetype of all lasers: the famous RED laser
beam! Gas lasers use cool, and idealy COLD low presure gas, and may NOT have ANY
mirror at all, and often only one if they have any.
Usualy, heat is the enemy of lasers: they need to stay cool to stay
monochromatic and keep a parallel beam.
You can build a nitrogen UV laser in your kitchen! You need a large 2 faces
project board, some coper fold, some palstic, a screw, a bunch of capacitors and
diodes, an ossilator, a nitrogen source, a cheap water jet vacuum pump, a
welding iron and welding strip. ANYBODY can gather all components.
I have the plans if you want. They where published in the Scientific America
magazine, with all needed instructions, as well as the working principles.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've ever "lost" a Julia fractal