POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 9 Nov 2007 16:18:23
Message: <4734ce9f@news.povray.org>
news:4734c9d3$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> > And it is possible for particles to travel faster than the 'speed of
light'
> > in a particular material. (Though, of course not faster than c)
> > This is most commonly seen around submerged nuclear reactors and is
called
> > Cherenkov radiation. If you've ever seen a picture of a submerged
reactor,
> > it's that eery blue glow.
>
> Gail... You're a DBA. Why do you know about Chernkov radiation?

That's an odd question. Why would my experience with databases preclude
knowledge of science? I could as well say you're a system admin, why do you
know about Fourier Transformations?

I have a B.Sc in Physics. Wanted to go into physics as a career, but there's
no jobs other than teaching in this country.
I still read articles on astrophysics, quantum physics and relativity for
fun (when I can get the time)

I actually saw Cherenkov radiation once. Was during a trip to a nuclear
research institute, as part of a prize for coming in the top 50 in the
country's science olympiad.
It's eery to see.

btw, it's also possible to see Cherenkov radiation in the upper atmosphere
(though diffuclt to see from earth) when high velocity cosmic
particles/solar wind particles impact the atmosphere at speeds very close to
c.