POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help : Re: missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: missing disk space on server, need help
From: Fa3ien
Date: 9 Nov 2007 15:02:04
Message: <4734bcbc$1@news.povray.org>

> Some of it could conceivably be "slack space". (A file can only be an
> integer number of blocks long. The remaining space isn't shown in the
> "file size", yet cannot be used for any other data because a block can
> only belong to one file. If you look at file properties, you will see a
> "file size" and a larger "disk on disk", which includes the slack space.)

I thought of that at first, but, no.  With 4 Kb clusters, the maximum
amount of lost space is rather small (say we got 100 000 files, which
isn't even the case, it would take 400 Mb at worst).

> Do you have that Previous Versions option switched on?

No.  That partition contains only data files, nothing system-related.

It was just clusters erroneously marked as allocated, chkdsk fixed it !

Thanks anyway.

Fabien.