POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 9 Nov 2007 10:57:05
Message: <47348351@news.povray.org>
"Arttu Voutilainen" <bli### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote in message
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> Brian Elliott wrote:
>>> "Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
>>> I did the same to one of those tiny 3-volt DC motors, like the cog-ended
>>> ones that are in battery-powered toys.  A friend bragged at school he'd
>>> plugged one into the mains, and it went really incredibly fast and was
>>> really hot afterwards.
>>>

>> Every time I read these I feel more and more sorry for myself for NOT
>> doing something that stupid (and cool :p) as a kid.
>>

> Yeah, me too.
>
> Guess I have still some time left to do something cool with elec ;)

Something cool to do as a bigger kid.

Rat the Extra-High-Tension transformer out of an old junked CRT-type TV or
monitor.  (That weird-looking gangly thing covered in large amounts of black
wax, with the *heavily" insulated wire from its top, that plugs into the
back of the Cathode Ray tube)

Using an ohmmeter, you can determine which wire is the other side of the HT
coil, and which wires are the low-voltage coil (they'll have less
resistance, and maybe even a centre-tap point)

Fashion up a convenient 555 timer circuit on a 12-volt plugpack.  Tune it to
about 16 kHz.  (or just go for "high squeal like a TV" set).  Buffer its
output with either a single-ended, or for more efficiency, a push-pull power
transistor output stage.  A naked 2N3055 will do fine, but you can use a
smaller power transistor if you bolt it onto a heatsink.  Remember to put
reverse-biased power diodes across the output transistor to soak up the
back-EMF from the primary coil or you'll probably fritz your transistor
pretty quick.

Eg. Assuming you have an NPN power transistor with emitter to Ground, bung
its collector in series with the low-Volt primary winding to the 12 Volt
rail.  Now, you need...

One clear 240-Volt tungsten incandescent bulb, but with a popped filament.
It needs to have enough filament intact that there isn't too big a gap.

Hook the bulb up to the HT side of the transformer, turn the whole kaboodle
on, and with a little luck, the bulb will display a lovely pinkish-violet
ionised argon "flame" between the filament ends.  It'll should have enough
energy to make the filament red hot and the glass hot above the convective
"flame".