POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Nov 2007 08:15:21
Message: <47345d69$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Either way, it's definitely a program bug, and it's definitely
>> completely unrelated to virtual memory. ;-)
>
>   That person is presenting the classical symptoms of clueless user whose
> brain functions get diminished by 90% when in the precense of a computer.

In this particular person's case, I'd say more like a reduction of 60%.
But that's still quite a big reduction, I'm sure you'll agree...

It seems to be a case of somebody seeing

   Microsoft VisualC++ Runtime Library
   A pure virtual function call occurred in SVCHOST.EXE.

and instead read it as

   La la la, la la, la la la *virtual* la la, la la la, la la.

This is probably not helped by the "engineer" who was supposed to be
working on the equipment that this software runs. Apparently he saw this
message and proclaimed "oh, your computer doesn't have enough virutal
memory", and increased the setting from 250 MB to 2500 MB. (I.e., over 2GB.)

Ever since that time, nobody will believe me that the error message has
nothing to do with virtual memory. Or rather, I explain that it's
nothing to do with virtual memory, they go "oh, OK", and then a few days
later they're asking me what I'm going to do about the virtual memory
error that keeps happening. *sigh*

I guess you could classify that as a memory fault rather than a
comprehension fault. I mean, when I explain that it's not virtual
memory, they seem to kind of not really understand but never the less
accept that what I'm saying is right. They just don't *remember* about it...

Oh, and if I find that "engineer", I'm going to give him a talking to.
But, apparently, I'll have to join the queue first.

[Long story. Rather than getting the manufacturers to service our
devices, we're using some El Cheapo company who's staff don't seem to
really know what they're doing, and who take multiple visits to fix
anything. Everybody is very exasperated, but we have been told by HQ
that we can't use the manufacturers for cost reasons...]