POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Nov 2007 06:07:56
Message: <47343f8c$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Well if we are going for a P***ing contest:)

>>> uniselector and a rotary phone dial. It could add and subtract with the output
>>> in binary. Almost as much fun as the wine making.
>> Um... technically that's not a stored-program computer. :-P
>
> I think really it was an electro mechanical abacus. It had two hard wired
> programmes, add and subtract. :) You had to throw a switch to change the
> operation.

The word you're looking for is "calculator". ;-)

And what, you couldn't throw in a few extra logic circuits to convert
from binary to decimal? ;-)

I, on the other hand, spent months designing CPU and some RAM circuits
on my Amiga 1200 using DPaint IV AGA. I'm not really sure if it would
ever have worked, but (without the RAM) would have required roughly 200
chips. (7400, A.K.A. TTL quad 2-input NAND.)

I tried to restart that effort using KLogic - but it crashes too much.