POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Nov 2007 04:31:51
Message: <47342907$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> We have a buggy program that keeps throwing exceptions due to a "pure
>>> virtual function call".
>
>> Usually that means you're invoking a dynamically-bound method for which
>> there is no definition. I didn't know you could get that in C++ as the
>> first mistake the program makes.
>
>   I think that error happens if you try to call a pure virtual function
> in the initialization list of the base class constructor. (What I really
> don't understand is why it isn't a compile-time error...)

According to the Microsoft VisualC++ documentation, "usually" it *is* a
compile-time error, "but cannot be detected in all cases".

Presumably that means that if you do sufficiently freaky things with
pointers to pointers to data through multiple levels of type casts, the
compiler can't figure out what you're actually doing or something.

Now, fun thing: Why does it only do this on Windows XP, not Windows NT?