POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Nov 2007 19:37:46
Message: <4733abda$1@news.povray.org>
M_a_r_c wrote:
> Is not a laser an excitated resonant optical cavity eg a oscillator?

No. You have to pump up the electrons into higher valences, and then
when one photon hits, it causes the excited atom to drop the next photon
at the same frequency and phase, because that's how the math comes out
for photons. (It's the opposite for electrons, which is why you can't
have more than two electrons in the same place and phase and all.)

The resonance comes from putting a mirror at each end to get the photons
crossing the substrate more than once, so they have a better chance of
hitting more atoms. But in theory, it would work if you just made a
sufficiently long tube, or you could keep the atoms pumped up without
interfering with the emmision. (The latter is what laser LEDs do, I think.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we