POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Alain
Date: 7 Nov 2007 15:56:00
Message: <47322660$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/07 10:59:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Invisible escribió:
>>> This time, the URL really *does* say it all!
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_refractive_index
>>>
>>> Mmm, I wonder if POV-Ray can do this?
>>
>> I remember somebody who was involved in the development of such
>> materials, and was asking on these newsgroups if POV-Ray could
>> simulate it. People weren't even sure what a negative index would look
>> like, and POV didn't either :)
>
> Yeah, I would think this is likely to freak POV-Ray out a bit...
>
> According to Wikipedia's diagrams, such a material "reflects" light, but
> with the angle of reflection NOT equal to the angle of incidence (as in
> normal reflection), but computed by Snell's law instead (as per normal
> refraction).
>
> Damn weird if you ask me...
>
> Also, apparently some materials have an IOR of less than 1. (E.g.,
> 0.98.) But not for optical wavelengths.
A wave guide have ior <1 for radio waves. You can't find the equivalent for IR
and visible light.
POV-Ray accept dispersion <0, but render the object as a mirror.
Try ior = -1.5 VS. 1.5... and the result is: (At least, it don't choke on this.)
Strange looking, unintuitive, but it work. I realy can't say if what I get is
physicaly acurate, as I don't have anything to compare to.

--
Alain
   My wife likes to talk on the phone during sex; she called me from Chicago