POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Nov 2007 10:59:02
Message: <4731e0c6@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> This time, the URL really *does* say it all!
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_refractive_index
>>
>> Mmm, I wonder if POV-Ray can do this?
>
> I remember somebody who was involved in the development of such
> materials, and was asking on these newsgroups if POV-Ray could simulate
> it. People weren't even sure what a negative index would look like, and
> POV didn't either :)

Yeah, I would think this is likely to freak POV-Ray out a bit...

According to Wikipedia's diagrams, such a material "reflects" light, but
with the angle of reflection NOT equal to the angle of incidence (as in
normal reflection), but computed by Snell's law instead (as per normal
refraction).

Damn weird if you ask me...

Also, apparently some materials have an IOR of less than 1. (E.g.,
0.98.) But not for optical wavelengths.