POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors : Re: Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Word processors
From: scott
Date: 7 Nov 2007 03:16:45
Message: <4731746d$1@news.povray.org>
>  I have for long wondered why companies are so eager to tie their vital
> documents to a closed proprietary format owned by one company who has sole
> control on when and how the format is supported.

Well if worst comes to worst, you just don't install the newer version of
the software.  Anyway I don't think MS would last long if their latest
version of Word didn't allow imports from previous versions - I wouldn't
worry.

And if worst comes to absolute worse (like Word2009 only allows you to open
Word2009 files and nothing else) then you'd probably stick with Word2008
until MS released an update (along with every other company in the world) or
start using OpenOffice (which someone would no doubt have written a very
good Word2008 importer for).

The bottom line is the benefits of using MS Office far outweigh any risk of
all your documents suddenly becoming unusable.