POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors : Re: Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Word processors
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Nov 2007 17:11:55
Message: <4730e6ab$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:14:24 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> They're all tied to
>
>   I have for long wondered why companies are so eager to tie their vital
> documents to a closed proprietary format owned by one company who has
> sole control on when and how the format is supported.

Well, for this particular instance, it's because the tool available was
the best tool out there at the time.

And many argue that it still is.  We've had elements of our organization
who wanted to move to LaTeX or other tools (got one guy who's trying to
replicate the Frame formats in OpenOffice, of all things), but in the
end, they just didn't meet the needs of the organization.

Frame can export SGML as well, but a lot of its own structure and
elements get lost along the way, or so I'm told.  I'm no expert in
creating the formats, but I use them (and was a heavy user); having
written books using Word 2.0 templates and using Frame, I'd *never* use a
word processor for that kind of work if I could possibly avoid it.

Jim