POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2007 14:42:07
Message: <4730c38f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> Right. Not unusual in compiled languages, that.
> Indeed.

OK, all the stuff you described is pretty much SOP for compiled modular
languages (for everything but C++, that is).

Ada, for example, won't even let you link against the .o file if you
compiled against a corresponding .hi file that was compiled more
recently than the .o file.  So you can't even mix-and-match
representations incorrectly.

> Um... I'm not sure exactly which statement you're trying to make.

I meant that making it such that you can "hide" the representation from
the programmer and do all that fancy stuff, but then require the source
files of the declarations (a la C++) is a pretty easy thing to do. Much
harder to allow (say) inlining of already-compiled code.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we