POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors : Re: Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Word processors
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 6 Nov 2007 13:15:46
Message: <4730af52$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Isn't the answer obvious? "I don't".
>
> Why would you think you can pick up a program as big as Word and intuit
> how it works?  Buy a book, dude. :-)

It's not like I'm trying to do something *complicated*. If I was trying
to design some intricate mail-merge or something, I'd understand having
trouble. But something as trivial as basic formatting?

>> Ah-hah. So there *is* a secret hidden tool for altering them! (At
>> least, there is in Word 2003.)
>
> Yeah, the secret hidden tool for modifying styles is under the Styles
> menu, called Modify. ;-)

I just don't get why you have to open a special extra window just to
change styles, that's all. I mean, now I know it's not that hard, but
anyway...

>> Still puzzled as to why you have to open up a special window to do
>> this. (I.e., why you can't just click on the style you want to change.)
>
> Go to Format->Styles, and right-click on one of the styles. Notice how
> you have "Modify this style" as well as "Modify this style to match the
> formatting of what's selected". What would you expect?

...to be able to just right-click on the currently selected style and
modify it. But, apparently not.

>> then, this is from the program where you can't change any program
>> settings unless you have a document open. (WTF?)
>
> Um, in mine I can, certainly. Just not stuff that's stored with a
> document, like, say, styles.

Well, in mine, if there is no active document open, Tools / Options is
disabled. (So I can't, for example, look up where the templates folder
is unless I create an empty document first. Go fiure...)

> At least in 2003, it makes it really easy to say "Don't do that here"
> and "Don't do that any more."  I notice in OO it brings up its own
> Clippy to tell you it did something, but not really offer to undo it for
> you. :-)

Yeah, I noticed that too... hmm.