POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Plans : Re: Plans Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2007 08:21:25
Message: <47306a55$1@news.povray.org>
> I just love the way they quote the size of a flight of stairs in
> millimeters! I mean, it rises 12 feet up, and we care about 25mm?

Sure, your building design company would last a long time if every flight of
stairs had a tolerance of +/- 25 mm... :-)

> But most of all, it's just numbers. *Millions* of numbers. Almost every
> line has a second line next to it with some numbers. Many of the corners

> there are dashed lines *everywhere*.
>
> (I just reliased... Every single doorway in the place has a unique ID
> written on it. Wow.)
>
> There are also all sorts of symbols that look like they probably mean
> something to a building engineer. Means nothing to me though! Heh.
>
> It's certainly interesting anyway...

Yeh, just like a 2D drawing of a mechanical part, the plans are to enable
the builders to actually make the building.  They need dimensions of every
part, material types, finishes etc.  They don't want to have to keep phoning
up the designer and asking "errm, how thick do you want this wall?" and
stuff like that.