POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Nov 2007 00:06:08
Message: <472ff640$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> No, the latter; you can't have an array who's elements are a particular
> type since the compiler won't know how big it is.

Right. Not unusual in compiled languages, that.

> (Notice that Haskell has no such limitation; you can expose no
> implementation information to THE PROGRAMMER whilst this information IS
> still exposed to THE COMPILER.

So, I can have a module that changes the size of the objects it works
with, and the compiled code of the caller doesn't have to see that?

I.e., to make this happen, does the caller need the source code to my
module? Or can I compile that module, give you the executable (or
library), and you can allocate the right size object without knowing it?

Cause, like, doing that when you're distributing library sources is
pretty easy.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we