POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) : Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray)
From: Alain
Date: 5 Nov 2007 10:52:47
Message: <472f3c4f$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/05 04:05:
> Tom York a écrit :
>> I'm afraid you will probably have to compare them yourself; such work is
>> time-consuming and very scene-dependent, and so quite rare.
>
> There is a comparison of various renderer on a simple scene here:
> http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Gallery_t14_01.htm
>
> But they are not all raytracers, and it would take some time to
> investigate on the scene description language of each. And some may be
> outdated... POV for example is not at the latest version.

The main problemwith that comparison is that every samples where done on
different machines with wildly varying specifications: pentium III and IV,
athlon, single, dual processors, maount of RAM, CPU speed,...

WinOSI: P4 1.7GHz
Whire Frame, OpenGL, BMRT, Perceptuum, Radiance: CPU and GPU not precised.
POV-Ray 3.5: 1.4GHZ AMD.
Virtualight: P II 233 MHz.
Autodesk VIZ 4:P III 800MHz.
KRay: Athlon XP 1700+.
Lightwave: Athlon 1400 MHz.
VRay: DUAL Athlon MP 1800+.
JaTrac: Athlon 1GHz.
Realsoft 3D: Athlon 1400 MHz.
Yafray: P 4 3GHz.
Art of Illusion 2.0: Athlon 3000+.
Redqueen: P 4 2GHz.
Cinema4D: Athlon XP 1800+.
Strata 3D Pro: dual P III 800MHz.

This make any speed comparison absolutely futil. To be able to do a speed
comparison, you need to render with every programms on the same machine, or
machines with the same caracteristics.
RAW CPU speed is of no help: some benchmarks show my 1400 MHz Athlon with single
chanel DDR 266 as faster than a 1.8 GHz P 4 (same RAM), and a 3GHz P 4, with
dual chanels DDR2 400 to be only 12% faster than my very aging computer...

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's When you put