POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors : Re: Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Word processors
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 5 Nov 2007 10:34:56
Message: <472f3820@news.povray.org>

> So, I figured out LaTeX and HTML (not to mention POV-Ray, the Lambda
> calculus, cryptography, inorganic chemistry, and much else besides) yet
> I couldn't figure out M$ Word?

In fairness, changing the styles in LaTeX is not something trivial
either. As far as I figure, anytime you want to modify the appearance of
something, you are going to have to dig into TeX code, which is not
really friendly. That's the spirit of LaTeX, to split the formatting
from the structure as much as possible.

I like LaTeX allright, but I admit it is utterly broken in some respects
(images and fonts come to mind), and I dream that someday someone will
come up with an alternative that fixes some of these... Once in a while,
departing from the backward-compatible frozen software could be a good
thing.

I mean I hope we will not be stuck forever between LaTeX where you
cannot do anything visually, and Word-alike where you must do everything
visually...

--
Vincent