POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors : Re: Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Word processors
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 5 Nov 2007 10:18:39
Message: <472f344f$1@news.povray.org>

> Brian Elliott wrote:
>
>> Whinge, whinge, whinge.  :-P  :-)
>> They do do it.  You just haven't figured it out.
>
> So, I figured out LaTeX and HTML (not to mention POV-Ray, the Lambda
> calculus, cryptography, inorganic chemistry, and much else besides) yet
> I couldn't figure out M$ Word?
>
> What does this say about M$ Word? ;-)

I definitely prefer writing in HTML than using any word processor (just
like I prefer SDL than a graphical modeller). I should learn DocBook.

> (Come to think about it, one critical difference between Word and those
> other things is the lack of a *manual*. POV-Ray comes with an excellent
> manual, but Word only offers context help. Not very useful if you have
> no idea how a broad feature is supposed to work!)

M$ Office is supposed to be intuitive, so people figure out how to use
it without reading the manual. Stupid idea in my opinion. People
intuitively find the Center and Bold buttons, and that's how the Styles
feature goes unnoticed. And then those same users trying to use POV-Ray
won't read the manual (because they aren't used to reading manuals) and
won't get too far :D

I read Microsoft did a poll asking users what features they would like
for the next version. A *very* large amount of people asked features
that already exist. Microsoft figured the features were hard to find,
and that's how we get the new UI on Office 2007. Even if it's easier for
new users (which I doubt), everyone who already knew how to use Office
2003 now has to re-learn everything.