POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) : Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray)
From: Charles C
Date: 5 Nov 2007 00:19:24
Message: <472ea7dc@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Charles C <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Or, here's another approach:  Let all machines go at once & let SDL create "flag
>> files" and either render blank (read "easily sorted out") images or real frames
>> depending on whether a given frame number's "flag file" exists already or not.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition#Computing

:-D It's a 'practical' solution to distributing frames using a simple
SDL-only approach, not a 'theoretically ideal' solution...

Rendering 5400* frames of "Psychedelic Scrambler"  over about 23 odd
days on a handful of processes resulted in maybe 2 or 3, mayyyybe 4
duplicate frames rendered and no apparent file handling errors on the
part of the NAS that contained my shared directory.  While I had systems
restart or crash in the middle, iirc as far as I could tell the times
didn't correspond to the same frame being rendered on multiple machines.
OTOH, who knows.

*plus about a day's worth I accidentally deleted.

Charles