POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Demos : Re: Demos Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Demos
From: Alain
Date: 4 Nov 2007 13:14:56
Message: <472e0c20@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/04 12:49:
> scott wrote:
>
>>> I'm still mystified (get it?) as to how it manages to render with
>>> absolutely no visible grain of any kind to it. Even POV-Ray struggles
>>> to do that given many *days* of rendering time...
>>>
>>> Clearly some kind of trick must be involved.
>>
>> Not really, just utilising the GPU's ability to handle 3D textures and
>> smooth blending really efficiently.  Don't forget the GPU version is
>> not scattering light like POV does...
>
> ...GPUs can do 3D texturing now?
Yes, and it's not even a new possibility! My old, totaly obsolete, and presently
unused, PCI Matrox Mystic was able to do some elementary 3D texturing, just not
to the same extent as todays cards and at a much lower resolution. It could'nt
do smooth blending or shading.

--
Alain
A modest man is usually admired; if people ever hear of him.