POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Nov 2007 12:30:30
Message: <472e01b6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:53:12 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   That's because they use the wrong OS, where users can screw up the
>>> system by installing and changing settings...
>> And what system lets you install applications and change settings that
>> *doesn't* let you screw things up?  Last time I ran rpm as a normal
>> user, it not only didn't work, it gave a really stupid error message.
>
> "You must be root"?

No, actually. Something like "could not aquire package directory lock".
If it said "you must be root" I wouldn't have had to try several times
and wander around looking for where said lock might be in order to
install the software.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we