POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Saw the most insightful description of opera : Re: Saw the most insightful description of opera Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saw the most insightful description of opera
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 3 Nov 2007 09:20:48
Message: <472c83c0@news.povray.org>
news:472be699@news.povray.org...
>  "Bad acting, but good singing."
>
>  I think that quite aptly describes opera. :P

I was never able to enjoy opera, though I did give it a go.

I don't understand Italian or German, and they don't translate to English
well.  So if I haven't read up on the story first, it's just a wash of
sound.

"Recitative" style leaves me cold.  Why not just speak the words if you're
already using ordinary prose for the language and seemingly-random notes to
deliver them?

There is a popular (and I think egotistical) deliberate habit among some
bel-canto (spelling?) singers to sing only "pure" sounds.  They'll sing only
open vowels, seeking-and-destroying all consonants, and all intelligibility
with them.  The only way to know what they're singing is to already know the
opera before turning up.  I actually believed something was wrong with MY
ears when I'd heard quite a few opera sung that way.  I was prepared to hear
a foreign language and not understand it.  But I strained my ears and all I
heard for the entire performance was "ooooooo-eeeeeeee-aaaaaaaa-awwwwww".
Then I perchance heard a radio interview with an opera singer, and she
explained it all.  It comes from an attitude that stooping to singing dirty
consonants prevents them from showing off with their wonderful voices.  I
don't like it when a theatre-person decides they are more important than the
language, their role, the show, the rest of the cast, the original writer,
and not least: the audience.

Because of the particular vocal exercise used to deepen and strengthen their
vocal power, the majority of males all sound identical to me.  If I close my
eyes, it could well be just one man on stage singing all the male roles.

The women's voices -- aargh sorry, but the head-piercing character of many
literally make me so ill with severe headaches, that within a half-hour of
starting, I have had to leave to go lie down.

Just my personal experience.  I'm not declaring opera to be rubbish, nor
denigrating anyone's taste, who finds real pleasure in it -- as many do.
I'm just not built for Opera, is all.

--
Brian