POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Slicing an ellipsoid : Re: Slicing an ellipsoid Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slicing an ellipsoid
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Nov 2007 06:23:54
Message: <472c5a4a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03.11.2007 12:08, Francesco nous fit lire :
> "Francesco" <nas### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I need to generate only a portion of an ellipsoid (a surface, not a solid). The
>> best way to proceed is by declaring it as a difference between an ellipsoid and
>> a box?
>
> It seems to me I need to use isosurface. I am studying them :)

Which portion of an ellipsoid do you need ?

If it's a 2D surface, intersection with a couple of parallele plane
should be fine.
Or direct usage of an ellipse.

If it's part of the 3D surface, it obviously depend on which part of
the ellipsoid you want.
CSG is one way.
Parametric another.
And isosurface also... as well as meshes, smooth triangles and so on.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.