POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Failed to save file:" : Re: "Failed to save file:" Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Failed to save file:"
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 3 Nov 2007 02:24:14
Message: <472c221e@news.povray.org>
Charles C napsal(a):

> Samuel Benge wrote:
>
>> Whenever I have received that message it was because the file was
>> still open in some other application.
>
> I'm pretty sure it's just POV-Ray.  Re-starting POV-Ray and not changing
>  anything else lets me make the change and save again.
> Charles
It seems to me POVray doesn't close the file handle and tries to open a
new one. This fails because there cannot be two file handles to the same
file if one of them is a writable one.
I've never seen the POVray code but if handle closing depends on a
garbage collector+destructor then this is certainly wrong. In this case
either force GC before opening a file or, if that fails, trace the
references to it (if you don't mind debugging yourself).
You can use Sysinternals taskmanager to see if the image handle is still
open by POVray.