POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2007 19:12:03
Message: <472bbcd3$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Yeah, old GC algorithms used to do this. Research has been done,
> solutions have been found, etc.

Plus, a lot of the complaints about GC slowness are caused in part by
the GC not interacting with the paging system well. I.e., the OS isn't
prepared for programs that're going to do GC in particular patterns.

There are read-aheads on disk files. Why would you wait until the GC
hits the bad page before starting to read it in?

Of course, paging systems nowadays don't even know the physical layouts
of the disks, so it's generally hard to do things like select sectors on
the swap partition in a way that paging things back in will be fast.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we