POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2007 19:04:52
Message: <472bbb24$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> Garbage collection is BAAAAD!!!
> Any implementation that permit you not to use that is GOOD.

Uh, not sure why you'd say this. You're looking at one implementation of
one garbage collector, and deducing from this that the entire concept is
bad? You *are* aware there are such things as real-time garbage
collectors, for example?

I can't imagine a GC that takes 15 minutes on anything that isn't paging
like mad. In which case the problems isn't the GC, but the paging, in
which case you should say "paging is baaaaad!"  :-)

I mean, really, how can you imagine any decent GC would take more than
(say) three times the length of time it takes to read all physical memory?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we