POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New, open-source, free software rendering system for physically correct : Re: New, open-source, free software renderingsystemforphysicallycorrect Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New, open-source, free software renderingsystemforphysicallycorrect
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 2 Nov 2007 14:14:48
Message: <472b7728@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson escribió:
> Maybe in your world, but Novell don't create a newsgroup per topic posted
> in NCC - that would be nuts.  There's over 650,000 messages in that group
> *alone*, and at one time, it was pegged as the busiest newsgroup on the
> 'net, with several thousand messages being posted each day.

Waitwaitwaitwait I *just* noticed I misread that, not noticing you had
misread my post. Of course it wouldn't be a *newsgroup* per topic. I
meant a *thread* per topic. Making a "tech support thread" with
thousands of posts is what web forums do, and wouldn't work on
newsgroups. Making a "tech support group/forum category" with one thread
per question is what people should do; and how it works on newsgroups.

When somebody gets a rendering artifact in POV-Ray, he posts a new
thread on povray.general, like for any other problem. Some web forums
would have a sticky thread called "Rendering artifacts help" with
thousands of posts, and asking everybody with an artifact-related
problem to post there. I think that is a stupid idea.