POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: scott
Date: 2 Nov 2007 05:00:41
Message: <472af549$1@news.povray.org>
> Sure, manipulating an 8 megapixel photo takes a lot of RAM. But what about
> while you're *not* manipulating an 8 megapixel photo? Why should it
> require any more RAM then? (Not to mention CPU time...)

Because it keeps 100 levels of undo data, has code for doing 400 different
brush types and colour gradients, functions for adjusting colour balance and
histogram equalisation, red-eye removal, perspective correction, much higher
resolution and colour depth icons for all the tool-bars, critical parts of
the code have been optimised for speed (at the expense of RAM usage) now
that everyone has more RAM, it has loaded lots of stuff to RAM that it
thinks you *might* use so that it appears to run quicker, etc.

Personally, I like having all that stuff at the expense of it using 1% of my
RAM instead of 0.1%.