POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: scott
Date: 2 Nov 2007 04:56:45
Message: <472af45d$1@news.povray.org>
> That was now about 10 years ago (doesn't seem possible it was that long
> ago).  But desktop lockdown and software installation policies are very
> common in corporate IT policies these days, especially with all the
> crapware/malware/spyware that's in the Windows world.

Yep, and the policy works too.  Where I used to work everyone was using
Win95 (to start with, they slowly changed to XP when I was leaving) and I
don't think we ever saw a blue-screen.  This was because we were only
allowed to use approved software, and IT had tested to death anything that
was to be used on the system to make sure it was compatible with everything.
Add to that the fact that they routinely wiped the HDs, it meant a very
stable computing environment virtually transparent to the user (unless you
wanted to install some application that was not in the list).

Allowing users to modify settings and install anything usually leads to an
unstable environment and many many IT support calls.