POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Nov 2007 19:58:42
Message: <472a7642$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Is that really so? Can you refactor an existing solution (eg. in a library)
> so that it will be more efficient (eg. memorywise) without breaking any
> existing programs?

I don't know about Haskell, but IBM had a language called NIL that was
very high-level. Everything was processes and SQL-style tables and
unbounded integers and dynamic code instantiation and such.  They wrote
the routing software for SNA in it.

When a customer wanted to have two SNA routers sharing the load and
picking up in the event of a fall-over, the guys on the NIL team
realized they didn't need to rewrite any NIL code. They simply(*) added
a flag to the compiler to tell it to generate parallel code with soft
fail-over. Nothing but the compiler got changed.

(*) For some meaning of "simply" obviously. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we