POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 1 Nov 2007 16:05:00
Message: <472a3f7c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> The nice thing about Haskell is that is *allows* you to come up with a
>> better implementation and slip it in there later.
>
>   Is that really so? Can you refactor an existing solution (eg. in a library)
> so that it will be more efficient (eg. memorywise) without breaking any
> existing programs?

It depends on the library, and how carefully it was thought out in the
first place. (I imagine this applies in most languages.)

For example, there is a current project to introduce
trippy-new-killer-feature "stream fusion". This involves rewriting
almost *all* the standard Haskell list processing functions (of which
there are a fairly mind-blowing number) so that they work completely
differently internally.

Obviously, these are the most-used functions in all of Haskell [three
guesses why they're being optimised?], and any change to the interface
would break practically every Haskell program ever written. And breaking
almost every Haskell program ever written would be a Very Bad Thing(tm).
Fortunately, they haven't needed to...

Can the same be said for *every* library? Well, that is a harder
question to answer. My guess would be "many of them", but I don't have
any really scientific proof of that.