POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The other rant that amused me recently : Re: The other rant that amused me recently Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The other rant that amused me recently
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Nov 2007 12:49:13
Message: <472a1199$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Except it's not my code, so I couldn't fix it if I wanted to. :-)
>
>   It's not like programs written in other languages were bug-free...

Not at all. Let me give you an example:

C++ program crashes. How do I know? The socket it's listening on closes
or, alternately, stops responding to requests because the program hung.

Tcl program crashes. How do I know? It catches the top-level bgerror,
logs a record to the database (and failing that, writes it to the
filesystem, and failing that, emails it to me, and failing that, well,
yeah, OK.)  If the error was something that is probably recoverable
(such as a lost socket, restarting database, etc) it cleans up all
globals, reloads the code, closes all open sockets, and launches itself
again.

You *could* do it in C++, sure, as long as you don't make any mistakes
that trigger undefined behavior.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we