POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:10:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Nov 2007 12:46:22
Message: <472a10ee$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   But hey, that's the fad in modern programming: Memory usage and speed
> are irrelevant. Processors are getting faster and memory amounts are
> doubling every couple of years, so who cares if something like a string
> takes 12 times as much memory as it could?

Depends on the size of the string, really. If my 100-byte string holding
an email address turns into 1200 bytes, I'm not really going to worry
about it much. :-)  Agreed, really big strings where you're actually
starting to cause significant paging can be a problem, but you're really
just hitting the wall earlier in Haskell than in other impelmentation.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we