POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : shuffling off this mortal coil sideways : shuffling off this mortal coil sideways Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  shuffling off this mortal coil sideways
From: andrel
Date: 3 Nov 2007 15:46:47
Message: <472CDF40.5030007@hotmail.com>
My wife got me a USB turntable for my birthday. Her idea was that I
could then convert my old record collection to mp3s. I got no good
response to my question if she also could provide the time to do that
(current estimate: 200+ hours or a full year's free time).

I am a big fan of Eric Bogle, and that indeed dates back to the PVC
time, so I had little opportunity to play some of my favorite albums. So
one of my first albums to mp3 was "When the wind blows"
(http://www.amazon.com/When-Wind-Blows-Eric-Bogle/dp/B0000279Y4)
highly recommended, but not very available, it seems.

On the album sleeve is this text about "the enigma": "I've had one or
two friends who have shuffled off this mortal coil sideways. It has
always come as a complete shock to everybody involved. How little we
really know about what goes on in the minds and hearts of our friend and
lovers". Apart from the strange "one or two" I was wondering if
"shuffling off this mortal coil sideways" is a common expression or just
another boglian invention?
I find this song moving everytime I hear it, partly because it is about
an Andrew/Andy committing suicide (as if you did not understand
that)*,**. On the album it is followed by "Little Gomez" a funny up
tempo song, talking about mood swings... To quote Eric a second time
from the sleeve cover: "Little Gomez- I wrote a song called 'He is
Nobody's Moggy Now' in 1992 which alienated every cat lover in the
Southern Hemisphere, and a fair proportion in the Northern Hemisphere as
well. Greedy sod that I am, I could not rest till I'd alienated all the
dog-lovers as well. This should do it."

* Full lyrics of the enigma available at:
http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/theenigma.pdf
** it is on my funeral play list with the remark to include it in the
case of suicide.