POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : expand your vocabulary : Re: expand your vocabulary Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: expand your vocabulary
From: andrel
Date: 3 Nov 2007 14:51:18
Message: <472CD23F.2090807@hotmail.com>
Tim Cook wrote:
> ...a word which I first encountered in a level-guide reference to
> manipulating objects in Thief, 'frob', here's what an online dictionary
> has to say:
That entry comes from the "Jargon file" AKA "The hacker's dictonary" the
latter name was used for the printed version
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Hackers-Dictionary-Guy-Steele/dp/0262680920)
Most, if not all, of the Jargon file is nowadays included in wikipedia
(as a community effort it far predates wikis), but I recommend browsing
the original on-line to learn a bit more about the origin of words that
are now common in computer science. Not recommended at work, your
grinning, chuckling and sniggering may distract co-workers.

[snip]