POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Oct 2007 20:59:00
Message: <472932e4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If a string is really internally a list of smaller strings, wouldn't GC
> become more difficult because you can actually have "references" pointing
> to the middle of such strings and not their base?

You'd have to implement that kind of reference as a base+offset sort of
thing. Or buffer it and copy it into a list as needed, like building up
something from multiple reads of C stdio.

>   I must admit, though, that I don't know how GC is implemented.

No, you're right. The kind of GC that can handle arbitrary pointers is
called "conservative GC" if I recall correctly.  It works pretty poorly.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we