POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Demos : Re: Demos Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Demos
From: Alain
Date: 31 Oct 2007 20:47:51
Message: <47293047@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/31 16:59:
> Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> (Seriously, are you NUTS?! Most drivers are about 20 KB.)
>>
>>   You can fit quite a lot of things into 20 kB. Just take a look at
>> some good 4 kB demos.
>
> I'll bet you can. Games programmers used to do it back when computers
> only had that much RAM...
>
> Although I'd think lower resolution polygon meshes for 27 different
> games and benchmarks does not belong to "the set of all things that can
> fit into 20 KB". ;-)
WHO said that you need to store the alternate meshes? You don't need to do that
when the benchmark already contain the lower resolution meshes.
Benchmarks, and several games, often offer several mesh quality. You only need
to intercept or change the reference that is used to point to the lower
resolution mesh that is already provided.
One of the ways that the cheats where discovered was by running the benchmarks
at the two lowest settings available and realise that they return exactly the
SAME results: The second lowest get degraded to the lowest setting, but the
lowest settings CAN'T be lowered to anything lower! But, almost nobody ever try
those low settings.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when someone shows you a photograph of