POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Demos : Re: Demos Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Demos
From: Alain
Date: 31 Oct 2007 20:39:53
Message: <47292e69$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/30 17:58:
> Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> Um... lower the polygon count? That sounds like a *highly* nontrivial
>>> task. Arguably more work than actually rendering all the polygons. :-P
>>
>>   Not if the driver has code specifically designed for the specific
>> triangle mesh the benchmark program send it. It can simply have some
>> kind of lookup table or something which substitutes some of the triangles
>> with other (fewer) triangles.
>
> ...hmm, so *that* is why the nVidia video driver is over 200 MB...
>
> (Seriously, are you NUTS?! Most drivers are about 20 KB.)
ONLY 20Kb??? I only once had video drivers under 500Kb! This was under Win 3.1
for an old PCI Trident VGA adaptor, the only and last drivers I ever got that
fit on a single floppy. The Win 95 drivers for that same card needed 2 floppys.
  My current ATI drivers installation package is about 14.5 Mb.
Just take a look on both nVidia and ATI web sites, drivers downloads section.

--
Alain
As the shepherd said: If in doubt get the flock out!