POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Oct 2007 19:24:06
Message: <47291ca6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Simply let lazy evaluation read the file as required, and the GC can
>> delete the data you've already processed transparently behind you.
>
>   That's not possible if the file is indeed read into one single string.

My guess is that internally it works the same way you'd do it from C:
you read a buffer, walk thru the buffer, and then discard the buffer.
There's no reason it can't work that way, just because it *looks* like a
list of characters at the program level, any more than getchar() really
reads one character at a time.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we