POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 31 Oct 2007 19:16:38
Message: <47291ae6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New a écrit :
> Brian Elliott wrote:
>> Until then, I'd thought that the effects of things down at quantum
>> dimensions could not be observed so simply at our size.
>
> Here's another one:
>
> Go into a place selling polarized sunglasses. Hold up two pairs a few
> inches apart at right angles. No light comes thru, obviously.
>
> Now, without moving those glasses, put a third one in between at a
> 45-degree angle. Suddenly, light comes thru.
>
> When I see a ray-tracer do *that*, I'll believe in "using physical
> equations". ;-)

If you are really into that kind of things, there is at least a paper
about that here:
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/publications/2001/wilkie-2001-crp/

So it has been done, just not in a widely known renderer... Perhaps
because the effect is not so ubiquitous in everyday life yet ;-)

--
Vincent