POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Theoretical programming question : Re: Theoretical programming question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Theoretical programming question
From: Warp
Date: 31 Oct 2007 19:13:52
Message: <47291a3f@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler <wampler+pov### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> Since Befunge seems to support random-access storage with the "p" and
> "g" commands

  The problem is that those support only putting and getting a character.
To calculate the mandelbrot set with integers you need to handle pretty
large integral values.

  Ok, maybe it's possible to split a large integer into characters by
doing divisions and modulos (and multiplications and additions when reading),
but it becomes extremely cumbersome, especially with befunge (which, as far
as I can tell, doesn't support the concept of a subroutine, unless theres
a really clever way of emulating them).

  If befunge had just one extra command: "copy the nth value in the stack
to the top of the stack", everything would become much easier.
  Well, I suppose the purpose of this language is not to be easy to use. :P

>   Anything in particular that inspired you to give it a shot, or did it
> just seem like an interesting puzzle?

  I wanted to try a completely different programming language, for fun.

--
                                                          - Warp