POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell raving : Re: Haskell raving Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell raving
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 31 Oct 2007 16:08:56
Message: <4728eee8$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:

> The simple fact is any argument for Haskell and against other languages will
> be valid when - scratch that - *if*  people start writing killer
> applications, a killer OSs, APIs and killer games in Haskell.
>
> Ah, I stand corrected, here's a killer game:
>
> http://www.geocities.jp/takascience/haskell/monadius_en.html   <g>
>
> from
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications (2nd on list)
>
> I cannot imagine what Haskell will bring us in another 20 years. "A
> scientist's toy box" is aptly where Haskell belongs.

Hmm... You're not going to talk about Haskell Quake then?

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Frag

Hardly "killer" (unless you'll pardon the pun), but at least a little
more exciting...

One could legitimately level the claim that only real large-scale
programs written in functional languages so far have been... compilers
for more functional languages.

Still, I gather that Xilinix's current toolchain for FPGAs is based on
Haskell technology. A few other blue-chip peeps are using it. Again, not
really "killer" - for that, you must look to Erlang. *sigh*