POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Theoretical programming question : Re: Theoretical programming question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Theoretical programming question
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2007 21:48:57
Message: <4727ed19$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   My question is: Is this kind of programming language turing-complete?

BTW, the way you would prove this is to implement an interpreter for
turing machines in the language. Since a TM has an arbitrarily large
state table, you need to be able to access unbounded state. Without
being able to access main RAM (i.e., the representation of the state
table) without losing your current position (i.e., without popping
everything else off the stack), I'd guess not.

Having a "load the word whose address is on top of the stack" would be
necessary but maybe not sufficient.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we