POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Theoretical programming question : Re: Theoretical programming question Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Theoretical programming question
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2007 21:12:26
Message: <4727e48a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What is *not* supported is accessing any value in the stack deeper
> than the two top values (which can be accessed eg. using the swap
> command).

How about reading and writing memory that isn't an "immediate" value?
(I.e., random data memory, instead of inline literals in the code?)

>   My question is: Is this kind of programming language turing-complete?
> Can every possible algorithm be implemented with it?

Depends in part, I expect, on the size of your values. :-) Seriously, if
you have unbounded integers for values, that's a different question.

I *will* say that when I implemented FORTH a few times, getting things
like "access 6 deep and copy it to the top of the stack" made things
about 23,845 times easier to write programs.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we