POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All that Windoze stuff : Re: All that Windoze stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: All that Windoze stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2007 21:03:22
Message: <4727e26a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> So... when you double-click a "drawing" object in Word, and Word locks
> up for 40 seconds while it pages huge amounts of data back into RAM...
> that's Word loading the external plugin that handles drawing objects?

I don't know if that's built in, or a separate COM object, or what.

>> I would expect so. It depends what Excel exposes.
> Heh. Where do you find this kind of information?

Google "Excel vba interface" or "Excel com interface".

An example of code with COM calls in it:
http://www.smartquant.com/help/excel/

Or go to msdn.microsoft.com and search, except that they tend to take
down the documentation on any older versions of products, the bastards.

> (I guess it's kind of moot anyway. I don't have access to any
> programming language that supports COM. No, I classify VB as "joke"
> rather than "programming language"...)

Actually, most stuff that runs on Windows supports COM. Including Tcl
(google for TCOM). And including WSH.  And including anything written
with .NET.  I'd be really surprised if Perl and all them didn't, too.

> Depends on what you're sending. (If it's text anyway, that's not too
> bad. Or if you're just sending button presses...)

Yeah. If you're sending events, it's easier. COM exposes some pretty
complex APIs, tho.

> I know you probably don't care, but for a project I once make a small
> gizmo that allows you to talk a Smalltalk application and move it's GUI
> to another machine on the network. (But unlike, say, X11 or VNC, you're
> working at the model level rather than the bitmap level.)

That's pretty cool.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we