POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I miss this : Re: I miss this Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I miss this
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 30 Oct 2007 05:53:26
Message: <47270d26$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
[snip]

The trouble with this discussion is that it started off with Newtonian
mechanics, and now you're arguing over the finer wording of some of the
consequences of special relativity. And while you're technically right
about the equivalence, you can't really say that a photon has mass
without being more specific - it can have the mass associated with its
energy, but must have no *inertial* mass or relativity doesn't work at all.

Warp was trying to clarify his understanding of momentum (which can be a
tricky concept to separate from energy if you've not learned physics to
quite a high level) and this isn't likely to help him. :-)